Skip to main content

Cowardice is forever

I thought I saw you.
  on Belmont and happy.
A beautiful woman on your arm
you were always
with someone on your arm
never on an arm yourself.

We went to college together
or rather, you and I lived
four years in that same small town
  a subtle but important difference

I was never in love with you
 more like in Awe with you
    afraid
Icarus' dutiful brother

Charismatic doesn't cover it,
you were,  I was/am in awe
Everyone was in awe.
Jealously, the dutiful sister of Awe

you asked me if you were a bad person
just because he said you were.
That ungrateful man-child who shared your bed.  
He said it, cruelly and you asked me if he was right
asked the question like you didn't know
 you were a goddess
adored. 
I did not try to make you feel better.
A coward.  

I can't apologize for that now,
  everyone is gone but me.  
    I can only hope you have forgotten

I do.  I'm sorry.
I thought I saw you on Belmont
you were happy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lecherous Old Man

walking along the concourse Admiring the late spring sunshine dappled along shapely forms young women in sun dresses Then, it occurs to me that the few smiling back do so only because they see their grandfather whistling along with only momentary guilt

Conan The Barbarian

What is best in life? He bellowed the question, and the answer is simple: the smell of fresh brewed coffee the taste of bananas from a bowl of Cheerios the delicate crunch of warm buttered toast this is what is best in life, Conan.